Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Graceful Exit" 5x7 acrylic


Just for a little change of pace, I decided to work on something with a little more spring/summer feel to it. I'm sure I'll be painting more snow soon!
I'm a bit torn between wanting to work on bigger, more "important" paintings and the production/affordability level of these smaller studies. One thing has become very clear while working on the small paintings - I'm learning so much more than I do while spending weeks on a larger piece. There is a conscious willingness to take chances and experiment with these minis. If I happen to screw one up and can't fix it, I've only got a day or two in the piece. I can easily set it aside and move on to the next. It's a painful experience indeed to spend several weeks on a large painting only to realize too late that it's a clumsy effort at best. So if I learn more working on the small paintings, are the larger ones really more "important?"

No comments: