Sunday, December 19, 2010

Full Circle

When I was a youngster, I loved to browse the pages of Pennsylvania Game News. I had little if any interest in the stories or photos, but the art of Ned Smith always absolutely mesmerised me. At that time, Ned's paintings graced the cover of every issue. I'd spend hours studying the elegant ink drawings included in his monthly journal column "Gone for the Day," then, with varying degrees of success, try to copy them with a sharp pencil.
It was at that early age when I had my first thoughts of becoming a wildlife artist. Nearly 40 years have passed since those early dreams and finally, my painting "Middle of Nowhere" (winner of the Pennsylvania Game Commission's 2010 Working Together For Wildlife print) is on the cover of Game News. So as I sit here this morning finishing the last of my coffee, it occurs to me that I've achieve one of those childhood dreams most of us forget with the passage of so many years. It all seems to fit together quite nicely and I'm proud of the accomplishment.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

WOW! I was blown away at work this morning when I picked up our new issue of Pennsylvania Game News, just delivered to my desk from mail sorting, and saw the cover art. Congratulations on another success! I should have known that you would have info on your blog. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't kept up on my reading lately. So sorry I missed your announcement, but happy that I saw it for myself and recognized your style before I even saw your name on the bottom left corner.

Jim Bortz said...

Thanks Elizabeth! There are certainly some good things happening right now. The challenge will be to keep the ball rolling!!!