Thursday, June 24, 2010

Days Like This...

I suppose most people involved in this goofy world of art have days like this. Every time I set to work on a task, somehow I lose focus and find myself wandering around the studio trying to figure out just exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. Actually, most of the week has been this way... no direction... little incentive... and an uncontrollable wandering mind... not even the desire to go outside and goof off. Still, I made myself paint. I made good progress too... with another relatively small painting within a day or two of completion.

One of my goals (and an absolute necessity) for the year is to find a new gallery to carry my work. I knew it would be tough, but jeez... not this tough! I've contacted more than a dozen galleries in the last few weeks, and of the ones that bothered to respond, the "Thanks, but no thanks," rejection notes are really starting to wear on me. Seriously, are they even looking at the samples I'm sending?

I either need to start drinking more... or drinking less, because this isn't working.

2 comments:

Terry Miller said...

Hey Jim, Don't fret too much about it, though I know it can be tough to here 'thanks, but ....'. I think it is simply that many galleries are just not taking on new artists right now as a result of the still stinko economy. I have been in the same boat, trying to find another gallery or two. So, hang in there, things have got to change .... sometime soon I hope. It sure is not a reflection upon your work or ability .... they are both top notch!

Jim Bortz said...

Thanks, Terry. I actually feel like working today. Hopefully this little burst of enthusiasm will last through the weekend... then maybe I'll take a few days off next week and go fishing. Sometimes that helps. The gallery search continues...