Friday, January 22, 2010

Stress of the "Quick Draw"

With the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition (SEWE) right around the corner, I've got plenty to keep me busy. Yet there is a constant gnawing in the back of my mind over the "Quick Draw" event during the show. These events give artists an hour to complete a painting as the crowd looks on. Then the paintings are framed and auctioned. The event is certainly not mandatory, as there are, in this case, about 30 artists participating. So, yes, I chose to do this! An hour to complete a painting?! Speed is not exactly an outstanding characteristic of my art... and now, with SEWE only a couple of weeks away... I'm feeling as though my decision to participate in the "Quick Draw" should probably be filed under "What the hell were you thinking?!" What will I paint? Has anyone ever had a colossal failure or a meltdown during one of these events? What if the painting is just awful? How many people will be watching? Will my hands be shaking so bad I can't paint? Sheesh! I just hope I don't end up with an ulcer by the time this is done.

No comments: