Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"Muleys and Sage" 12x10 acrylic on masonite

As you may have noticed, since my September '09 trip out west, I've been working mostly with western subjects and compositions. I love the Rocky Mountain west (though I don't get to visit near as much as I'd like) and the recurrence of this western theme will be a staple in my art for years to come.


A variation on the same idea used for "Mountain Meadow", this painting includes the additional element of a young mule deer buck as the main focal point. The placement of the deer in the upper portion of the composition and the vertical format add a feeling of height. I've found that sagebrush is easily manipulated to enhance composition and relatively easy to paint. The subtle blue-green color makes the small splashes of accent color really pop. I almost wish I'd have painted this piece a bit larger.

No comments: