Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Working Out of a Rut

It's been hard for me to work the past few days. I'm not sure what the problem is, but nothing was getting done. Finally, I got the oils out and started smacking some paint around. With fits of frenetic production punctuated by periods of near stagnation, my working life has more ups and downs than the stock market. Rather than accepting the "ruts" as a necessary part of the process (a much more sane and productive approach!) and being happy with the down time, I really let them get to me. My emotions will range from some sort of self-loathing depression to full blown panic. The sticky slow motion days have a feeling of permanency and creatively speaking... it's absolutely paralyzing. Just the other day, my sister was needling me a bit saying, "Noooooo... not my brother... obsessing over something!" Point well taken ;)

Sometimes I can get out a sketch journal and "draw my way out," and that's never a bad thing. Most of us artist types could use a little more drawing time. I can usually force myself out of doldrums after a few days... making myself paint rather than just staring at my projects wondering what to do next.

The last couple of days, I've been working on some oil portraits... slowly making progress.

2 comments:

ray brown said...

Especially love that first one! Don't feel bad about your down time, I haven't drawn in a week! --Ray

Jim Bortz said...

Thanks Ray. Chin up... push forward...