Wednesday, September 23, 2009

National Museum of Wildlife Art

While on my recent road trip, I visited the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson. My first impression as I browsed the galleries was “WOW!” The size of some of the Carl Rungius paintings was astounding… some at 10’ or more! I spent a great deal of time studying the works of Bob Kuhn and Ken Carlson. I had no idea the Kuhn worked mostly in acrylics. Simply amazing. Ken Carlson has always been a favorite and to examine his paintings up close was a real treat. I’ve always admired the economy of his brushwork… so much is conveyed with a single accurate stroke.

The Western Visions Art Show and Sale occupied much of the gallery space. I was happy to see works from many of my friends hanging on the walls. Is it possible I may soon join them? We’ll see.

It’s hard to imagine anything standing up to the grandeur of Grand Teton National Park, but the Museum is an absolute “must see” for anyone visiting the area. I know I’ll be back.

1 comment:

Terry Miller said...

Hey Jim, sounds like you had a wonderful couple of weeks. The trip west from Wausau is one I would like to do some day. Last in Yellowstone in 05, so time to go back.