Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Binge Drawing

I'm never quite sure when this condition will hit me or how long it will last. The pages of my sketchbooks fill almost magically and drawings pop up in other places as well (invoices, book pages, table clothes, frosted car windows!). There are periods of complete tunnel vision when the only thing that seems to snap me out of it is the phone ringing or Otis whining at the door because he needs to go out and pee! Then I realize hours have passed. I am hungry, my throat is dry, and my hands are covered in graphite. I am tired but happy, my list of chores for the day have gone unfinished, and I want to take a nap.
Binge drawing is not always productive in terms of finished/saleable art, but it's NEVER a waste of time. I always learn from these mad sessions. It makes me think without trying to think. It makes me see things as they are rather than relying on preconceived (and usually inaccurate) notions.
This current binge is a good one! It's been a couple of weeks now and shows little sign of letting up. I sure hope Otis understands!

 


 




No comments: