Monday, August 13, 2012

Pink Bottoms

After pouring a cup of coffee this morning, Otis the Wonder Dog and I took a short walk around the house. It was pleasantly cool and the dewy grass felt good on my bare feet. At the edge of the yard, we found a small group of meadow mushrooms (also known as "buttons" or "pink bottoms"). These are not the safest mushroom in the world to pick. I know people who have died mistaking a similar poisonous species for this common fungus. It only takes one screw up to ruin your day (or worse)!
Though not my favorite wild mushroom, they are excellent when cooked thoroughly so the edges are a little crispy. Add a touch of salt, pepper, and garlic and they round out a meal quite well. Just what I needed... an excuse to get a steak out of the freezer. HA!

No comments: